Istanbul 'Gezi' Protests - June 1/2, 2013

All photos copyright Simon Yorkston. For media use, please contact:

Demonstraters in Gezi Park

Demonstraters planting a new tree in Gezi Park

Demonstrater in an 'Anonymous' mask

Taksim Square, seen from the rooftop of the theatre

Protesters walk down from Gezi park towards Besiktas around 21:30 local time.

A protester stands upon barricades assembled over the previous two night's protests, waving the Turkish flag with an image of Ataturk super-imposed.

Barricades leading down beside the stadium were set on fire.

Protesters tore up the pavements to use as ammunition against the police, and used a variety of protection methods.

As police retreated to the boulevard leading towar Otokoy, protesters advance with rocks. This intersection became the choke point for the evening.

As both sides entrenched, protesters used materials from nearby building sites to protect themselves from CS canisters which were being launched at head-level.

Armoured Police water-cannon trucks were thwarted several times by barricades, and had to wait for re-enforcements before being able to advance.

Police shelter behind their anti-riot shields. As they ran out of gas, police began to return the volley of rocks towards protesters.

On the other side of the barricade, police faced a formidable force of people.

Police shelter themselves while awaiting reinforcements.

Protesters attempt to extinguish a tree set alight by a CS canister.

Makeshift medic preparing to move to the front of the group.

Excess inhilation of CS gas caused sever asthma-like effects.

Police water cannons douse the makeshift shields placed by protesters.

The arrival of protester-driven earth moving equipment saw police rapidly retreat at least a kilometer down the road.

Semi-trailer drivers joined the fray, reversing their rigs towards police, forcing a retreat. As the vehicles advanced, police intensified the CS shelling, prompting the drivers to flee.

A semi-trailer driver attempting to alleviate the effects of CS by using a makeshift cocktail of water & antacid.

The nearby mosque became a makeshift hospital, staffed with doctors, medical students and volunteers. As CS shelling intensified, the mosque was forced to close its doors to protesters in order to keep the gas outside.

Protester that received a CS canister to the head from a distance of 30m is treated.

CS-antidote spray is applied to a protester.

Many protesters further back in the group suffered from excess CS inhalation, as they were unable to remove themselves from the crowd to avoid the gas.

Protester that was hit in the chest with a CS canister. CS canisters are 40mm diameter aluminium shells. Despite the warnings of their manufacturers, shells were fired at head level.

Protester knocked unconscious after being struck by a CS canister at a distance of 30metres is treated by volunteers.